1.This Congo wars (1 & 2) has killed 5 millions of people & 100,000s of women were raped in 1990s but the world mostly never knew that or what happened.
2. Congo is about the size of Western Europe and for 3 decades ruined by the leader Mobutu sese Seko. While his people at the end of his reign (yes, like a king) lived in utter squalor, he lived in multiple palaces drinking pink champagne, and taking concord jets for his wives' shopping to London. But he was supported by the West with funds and arms. He visited White House from JFK to Raegan time.
3. Rwanda Genocide happened when Hutus killed 800,000 Tutsis in 100 days. It was stopped by Tutsi rebel army lead by Paul Kagame (grew up and trained in Uganda). 4. About 1 million Hutus ran for their lives from Rwanda to Congo when kagame entered Rwanda with military units. It created a refugee crisis that UN couldn't handle. Death and decay was normal in camps.
5. Mobutu was overthrown from power by Congolese leader Kabila who was supported by Rwandan & Zimbabwean forces.
6. Kabila when took oath of office in the capital Kinshasa, it was one of the 3rd largest city in Africa and one of the 20th largest in the world but had 1/2 of people survived on one meal a day, and 1/4 surviving on one meal per 2 days! Government servants get paid rarely.
7. Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi on one side and Zimbabwe, Angola, Namibia, and Congolese forces on the other. The former forces tried to oust the Marxian new leader Kabila from power. The second war started in 1998 and ended in 2003.
8. Banyamulenga (Congolese Tutsi) were involved in fighting with Rwandan Patriotic Forces (RPF) against Mobutu and then towards Kabila and later his son Joseph.
9. When war was over, Congo was in worse than ever. Diamond mines went from $600 millions to $120 millions. People were starving.
10. After his father Kabila's assassination, his son Joseph took over power. He reversed course & started peace process. He changed economic and military advisors with expertise and experience. Rwandan forces were kicked out. #book #bibliophile #bookcandy #books #bookshelf #bookstagram #africa #congo #war #peace